If you are returning to York to complete your degree and you did not enrol in courses in the last fall/winter session, then you must reactivate your record by following the steps below.
If you have already completed a degree at York and want to apply for non-degree status so that you can enrol in undergraduate courses but not put them toward a degree or certificate program, please read the information on the Non-Degree page.
If you want to return to York to pursue a second degree or certificate program, please complete a York University application through the Office of Admissions.
If you are a current student considering changing your major, degree program or Faculty, please read the information on the Program Change page.
If you are unclear on any of the terminology used in this process, please read our Glossary of Terms.
The online reactivation tool requires you to have a Passport York account. If you came to York on or after 1982 and are having difficulties signing-in, follow the instructions on the Passport York login page. If you last came to York before 1982, please contact Registrarial Services for assistance.
- You can submit a Reactivation (return to last academic program) request starting from January 1 for the summer session and March 1 for the fall/winter session. If you are submitting a Reactivation request with a Faculty Transfer and/or Degree Change, you can do so for the fall/winter session only by following the timelines on the Program Change page. Requests submitted by February 1 for the summer session and May 1 for the fall/winter session will normally be processed by the beginning of the enrolment period for the relevant session. Requests submitted after these dates will be processed as soon as possible, but there is no guarantee that they will be processed before the enrolment period or the beginning of classes.
- Reactivation requests will not be accepted after the last day to enrol in the term without permission of the instructor(s). For details, visit the Important Dates section of this website.
- Reactivation requests can take up to four weeks to process.
Courses Completed Elsewhere
- If you completed courses at any other postsecondary institution since you were last at York University without a Letter of Permission from York, request a reassessment of your current non-York credits. To be eligible, students must have left in good academic standing in order to be eligible for transfer credit.
- If you completed courses at any other university while on a Letter of Permission from York University , you must arrange for official transcripts to be sent directly to the Office of the University Registrar as soon as possible.
- You can search the ONTransfer database to see if there are some potential credits that you may get from York for courses taken at another institution.
- Students who were debarred or who failed to gain standing are not eligible for reactivation. Please reapply through the Office of Admissions directly.
- Students will not be reactivated to a program that is no longer offered: you will be required to choose an alternate program of study.
- Due to limited enrolment space and Faculty-specific requirements, approval of your reactivation request is not guaranteed. Certain programs have earlier deadlines for new transfers than others. If your requested program is no longer accepting reactivations for the session you want, you may apply for another future re-entry point.
- If you have an outstanding debt, then you may reactivate your academic record but you will be blocked from enrolling in courses.
Changing Your Program While Reactivating
If you are considering changing your major, degree program or Faculty while reactivating your record, then it is very important that you understand the information regarding eligibility and timelines on the Program Change page.
Information for Former Arts and Atkinson Students
- The majority of programs in the former Faculties of Arts and Atkinson were moved to the Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies (LA&PS) effective the Fall/Winter 2009-2010 Session.
- Applied Mathematics, Computer Science (BA and iBA), Computer Security, Mathematics, Mathematics for Commerce and Statistics were moved, effective the same session, to the Faculty of Science. Computer Science and Computer Security were then moved to the Lassonde School of Engineering effective the Fall/Winter 2012-2013 Session.
Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions)
When do classes start and end?
Sessional dates are available in the Important Dates section of this website.
What information is available to help me enrol in my courses?
For detailed instructions, enrolment dates and available courses, visit the Undergraduate Enrolment and Registration Guide section of this website.
How much is tuition going to be?
Your fees depend on how many courses you enrol in, the program and the time you have been away from York University. Visit the Fees section of the Student Financial Services website for more information on how fees are calculated and the different fee scenarios.
Is there any financial assistance available?
Yes, visit the Student Financial Services website for detailed information.
How do I register and when do I have to pay my tuition?
You can enrol in courses as soon as your reactivation request is approved. No registration deposit is required. Your fees will be due at the start of the session, and payment should be made through your bank. For detailed information on how to pay and fee payment due dates, please visit the How & When to Pay webpage.
I am an international student and require a letter for Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada for my Student Authorization. Is such a letter available?
Yes, after you first reactivate your academic record. Once you become a registered active student for the upcoming academic session, you can request a confirmation letter.
Important: if Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada does not approve you for study at York, it is your responsibility to de-enrol yourself from your courses before the tuition refund deadline; otherwise, you will be required to pay the full fees. Non-attendance of courses does not constitute withdrawal from York University. Visit the Refunds section of the Student Financial Services website for more information.
Where should I go if I have more questions?
Use the online “Ask a Student Services Expert” tool available on the Current Students website.
Reactivate Academic Record
Reactivate Academic Record)
How do I check the status of my request after I submit it?
- You can check the status of your reactivation request at any time using the online request tool below. There, you may see that your request has been either:
- Pending a decision/action (such as approval by the program).
- Denied, either because you did not satisfy the eligibility requirements or because the program is no longer accepting reactivations.
- Approved. Note: some requests require follow-up action.
- If you have a request that is still pending and you want to submit a new request, you must first cancel your pending request.
- If your change has been approved and completed, you will see your new program on the drop-down menu of available programs in the online enrolment system the next time you enrol.
If you experience any problems using this online request tool, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.